Erectile Dysfunction or ED is the inability to achieve an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse.
Many men are reluctant to discuss this problem, but should know they are not alone. Millions of men have Erectile Dysfunction and successful treatment is available for almost all of them.
Before considering treatment, most men want to know why they have Erectile Dysfunction.
Though there is not always one simple answer, conditions that lead to Erectile Dysfunction include:
- Diabetes- affects the nerves and blood vessels responsible for erection
- Heart disease and high cholesterol- blocks blood flow through the penis
- Surgery- Prostate cancer treatment and certain surgeries in the pelvis can damage nerves responsible for erections
- Medications- including those for high blood pressure may have an effect on erections
- Hormone problems- Low testosterone, liver failure and kidney failure are less common causes
The easiest way to treat Erectile Dysfunction is with oral mErectile Dysfunctionications such as Cialis®, Levitra®, Viagra®, but for many men, these treatments are not enough. Also, men taking nitrates should not take these pills. Other options include:
Vacuum Erection Devices
With so many choices, almost all men can enjoy sexual intercourse again.
At the Dallas Center for Pelvic Medicine, we evaluate and treat patients for Erectile Dysfunction in a relaxed, dignified atmosphere. After a thorough medical history and physical exam, testing may be done to screen for those conditions above that commonly cause Erectile Dysfunction. After any correctable causes are addressed, the Dallas Center for Pelvic medicine offers the full spectrum of treatment options to ensure that our patients regain the sex life that they desire.